Friday, April 04, 2008

5 Minutes...

I was watching the Tampa Rays (aka Devil Rays) vs Yankees game. Kennedy is absolutely getting crushed (he gave up 6 runs in 2.5 innings) and the Yanks are not hitting. Normally, I would be screaming at the television, telling the Yankees to get their acts together (as if they can literally hear me). Not tonight!!

Let me tell you about 5 Minutes of mine on Friday night…

Marc asked (me) if I wanted to go to the bar. I said…”Actually, if I end up not working, I just want to curl up in our brand new couch, light my candles, get into ‘comfy’ clothes, wait for PIZZA and CINNASTICKS, and watch a movie. When I say “movie”...I mean “the game". Side note: I can’t tell you the last time I had PIZZA and CINNASTICKS. Anyway, Marc completely understands. He knows that I have been frazzled, as of late. So, he meets up with a couple friends at Bungs. I run upstairs and get into ‘comfy’ clothes, light my candles, melt into our ‘overly stuffed’ and ‘wonderfully soft’ couch, and know in 5 Minutes, I am going to have PIZZA and CINNASTICKS.

The countdown to PIZZA begins, 5 Minutes….4 Minutes and 30 seconds…., etc. I am all alone, which most of you know that I hate being away from Marc. But this evening was going to be different, I welcome the quietness. I smelled my Yankee Candle in ‘ocean water’. By the way, I can’t wait to buy 2 of Yankee Candles’ new summer scents (Amber Glow and Dune Grass). 4 Minutes….3 Minutes and 30 seconds…., etc. Hasn’t it been 5 Minutes?!?

The game is going bad, Kennedy is getting crushed (6 runs) and its only been 2.5 innings. Did I mention that already? I remain calm. I am sitting here actually enjoying the game and not having a heart attack while doing it. La La La…I am all cool, calm and collect.

THEN----

Bottom of the 3rd inning, Matsui is up and BLASTS a home run (this is after the text message I sent Marc telling him, “the Yanks will come back”). I went NUTS!! I went from being calm and relaxed to my heart racing. As if it were the bottom of the ninth---game 6---with a tie score.

This is what happened after that:

1.) Molina crushes a ball to left center, the crowd acts as if it is going to be a HR, it hits off the wall and Molina gets a stand up double.
2.) Damon strikes out (swinging).
3.) Jetes (aka Derek Jeter), TRIPLES to center---Molina Scores! I couldn't hear because the crowd was so loud. But I believe Jetes said (under his breath), “That was for you, Leesburg VA”.
4.) Abreu grounded out to second, Jetes scored.
5.) A-Rod singled to shallow center.
6.) Giambi doubled to left center, A-Rod scored.
7.) Cano fouls out to catcher.

The score is now 6 – 4.

Talk about black/white -- night/day. I went from calm/relaxed to heart pounding/anxious in about 3 Minutes.

That is quite an emotional roller coaster; I worked up quite an appetite.

The doorbell rings, its PIZZA time!!!

I guess I took longer than 5 Minutes, telling you about 5 Minutes of my Friday night……


Update #1
The Yanks fall 13 - 4 in the top of the 8th. Now, I am screaming at the tv, I think they heard me (all the way in NYC).

Update #2
Shelly Duncan has power! Its a shame he is just now coming up to MLB. He is 28 and could have improved so much, playing in this level of competition.

Update #3
Realizing that I really didn't want PIZZA, I only ate one piece. I head upstairs to put the pizza box away in the fridge. Sweet Baby Jesus, the pizza box fits onto a shelf in the fridge! Normally, the box doesn't fit in and I have to make an aluminium foil swan to house the left overs. Does anyone else get excited when this happens (the pizza box not the swan)?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
and I thank you