Monday, September 25, 2006

Snorkel This!

We all went snorkeling on our trip. We went to the WWII German wreck "Antilla" and to the Arashi Reef. The water was deeper at the Antilla (60-70 feet) vs the Reef (6-15 feet). I thought I would be a little nervous jumping ship at the Antilla being the water was choppy and deep. But I was fine. I got down the ladder, jumped into the water, swam about 5 feet away from the stairs. I remember thinking, "this is great". Then I put my head under the water and took a look around. This is when I freaked out! There were hundreds of fish swarming around me. I have only been snorkeling a few times. None of which did I see this many fish. At this point, I decided to get out of the water and head for the Rum Punch. I totally wimped out! But the scenery was awesome and I sat on the deck and talked to the captain (drinking my rum). I was also laughing at Marc (he could not keep water from coming into his mask). My mom on the other hand could not get enough of it, she swam about 300 feet out to sea! Go Mammal!!

Did I mention there were grouper (3 feet - 40lbs) swimming around. If I would have seen this, I would have walked on water.

The second stop (the Reef), was different. I jumped in again and decided NOT to put my head in the water until at least 10 feet away from the ship. It seemed that the fish flocked to the boat and its shade. The further away from the ship you got, the less fish there were. It was a success, I was snorkeling with the group.

Here are some pictures from the morning out at sea.

1 Comments:

Blogger SGCL said...

I once snorkeled at Balashi Reef.

That might just been a lounge chair next to the pool and a cooler at my side though...

September 26, 2006 10:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
and I thank you